The massively transformative purpose of OUTSIDE is to shift the landscape paradigm in Florida. We need to increase the adoption of sustainable landscape practices to help create a more vibrant, healthy, and sustainable future for all Floridians. Rapid population growth, water responsibility issues, land conservation challenges, sea-level rise, coastal community resilience, biodiversity loss, and climate change are a few examples of these challenges facing the Florida landscape. These vital issues in Florida require us to take action and change certain behaviors, so we can contribute to the solutions needed in the future.
The way we achieve our purpose for OUTSIDE is going to be determined by all of us. We need to come together and work collaboratively to look for specific actions and solutions which we can apply toward achieving our purpose. Speaking with the OUTSIDE committee and others across the state, we’ve begun to explore how we can achieve our purpose by setting attainable goals. Mid-term strategies will allow us to begin implementing actions that will lead to change and help us achieve our purpose.
This is our draft of OUTSIDE’s ten strategic goals. We refer to it as a draft because it needs a lot more input from the public.
2021 OUTSIDE Collab Goals
- Promote A Statewide Collaboration Around Sustainable Landscape Practices
- Increase Nursery Supply and Market Demand of Florida Native And Florida Resilient Plants
- Grow Industry Competencies In Sustainable Landscape Maintenance
- Support Local Governments To Evaluate Landscape Codes For Effectiveness
- Collaborate With State Agencies To Encourage Green Infrastructure Projects
- Quantify Economic Impacts And Ecosystem Services
- Partner With Development Community To Implement Sustainable Landscapes Holistically
- Partner With Existing Developments (HOA’s) To Retrofit Sustainable Landscapes Holistically
- Develop A Holistic Sustainable Approach To The Landscape Transect From Design To Implementation To Maintenance.
- Educate Communities To Expand Perceptions Of What Landscapes Can Provide